The UK Immigration Rules allow visitors to undertake specific business related activities. Depending on the visitor’s nationality and the reason for the visit, it may be necessary to seek entry clearance before travel. In some cases visitors may seek entry on arrival to the UK granted by an Immigration Officer. McGill & Co are highly experienced in securing the necessary clearance to allow travel, or in providing advice to visitors due to seek entry on arrival. We are used to working to the demanding timescales that business often requires and in successfully resolving last minute or urgent issues with UK Visas or UK Border Force.
The rules in relation to visitors are now contained at Appendix V of the Immigration Rules. A visitor may:
- Attend meetings, conferences, seminars, interviews;
- Give a one-off or short series of talks and speeches provided these are not organised as commercial events and will not make a profit for the organiser;
- Negotiate and sign deals and contracts;
- Attend trade fairs, for promotional work only, provided the visitor is not directly selling;
- Carry out site visits and inspections;
- Gather information for their employment overseas;
- Be briefed on the requirements of a UK based customer, provided any work for the customer is done outside of the UK.
Further activities are permissible for prospective entrepreneurs and those involved in intra-corporate work or the supply of goods or services. In addition there are defined permissible activities for involvement in science, research and academia, the legal profession, religion, the creative field and sport.
The Immigration Rules further enable specialists such as translators, personal assistants, bodyguards, drivers, journalists, archaeologists and professors to undertake certain specific tasks in line with their overseas employment.
Allowance is also made for visitors to undertake work related training including clinical attachments and dental observer posts.
The Immigration Rules are complex and subject to frequent change. Applications of any kind need to properly prepared and supported by the correct evidence to assure a successful result. The solicitors at McGill & Co are adept at navigating the visitor’s provisions and providing a solutions driven service for our clients.